Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Walking on a Moonbeam Review

Walking on a Moonbeam: And Other Views from the Creek Bank

By Bill McDonald

Walking on a Moonbeam: And Other Views from the Creek Bank by [McDonald, Bill]
Walking on a Moonbeam is Bill McDonald’s first book. It is a collection of poems written during his career as an engineer/scientist working in the US space and national defense programs. The poems were written based on personal life experiences and are organized into nine topics: youth, adventure, love, seasons, change, hope, places and things, farewells, and prayer. Consequently, it also tells much of his own personal story, beginning with his youth, continuing with his adventures in the United States moon program, and covering many of the events, activities, and circumstances of his life.







...........................................................................
MY REVIEW

Walking on a Moonbeam is a collection of poems composed by the author mainly during the time that he worked for NASA in space exploration. The poems are categorized by the different stages of his mindset, such as when he was away from his family, when his wife had a major health issue, and even as a boy on a creek bank. The topics are drawn from his life’s experiences starting with his youth and continuing throughout his career.

There are many poem books that I have read that I didn’t really enjoy, or take anything away from their readings. However, this book was a pleasure to read. The verses had a natural flow to them that made the poems memorable. I loved the quotes from well-known people, which were included before each category. I thought they were appropriately selected, as well as each picture that was included. I liked how the author begins with a little background about the poems and his state of mind during each one. My favorite poem was one written during his fear of losing his wife, but it gives me comfort when thinking of my dad’s life. As the author hoped, I did find value in the writings, much value.
...........................................................................

**The above opinions are 100% my own, whether I purchased the book or it was given to me to review.


Buy the book from...

Follow the Author


No comments:

Post a Comment